OPENING UP RURAL KENYA
KeRRA is a State Corporation within the State Department of Infrastructure under the Ministry of Transport, Infrastructure, Housing and Urban Development and established through the Kenya Roads Act, 2007.
Our Head Office is situated in Nairobi with 30 Regional Offices in each County.
Easy Access to Resources and Services
To Develop, Manage and Maintain National Secondary Trunk Road Network
- Environmental & Social Stewardship
The values that will guide us in achieving our vision and mission are:
- Integrity-We are committed to the promotion of honesty, transparency, accountability and professional ethics
- Professionalism- We practice the highest professional standards across the board
- Innovation- We will explore innovative methods of implementing our mandate
- Teamwork- We recognize the synergy brought about by teamwork and will actively promote the same
- Inclusivity- We will strive to ensure that all stakeholders are considered in our operations including special interest groups
- Environmental and Social Stewardship- Mainstreaming of environmental, gender and other cross-cutting issues in our operations
The Authority’s primary mandate is to develop, construct and maintain the rural road network in the country as per the Kenya Roads Act, 2007. The scope of the rural road network was revised via the Kenya Gazette Legislative Supplement No. 4 (Special Edition) of 22nd January 2016. It comprises the following functions and duties.
- Constructing, upgrading, rehabilitating and maintaining rural roads.
- Controlling reserves for rural roads and access to roadside developments.
- Implementing road policies in relation to rural roads.
- Ensuring adherence by motorists to the rules and guidelines on axle load control prescribed under the Traffic Act or any other existing regulations.
- Ensuring that the quality of road works is in accordance with such standards as may be defined by the Ministry responsible for Transport and Infrastructure, overseeing the management of traffic on rural roads and issues related to road safety.
- Collecting and collating data related to the use of rural roads as may be necessary for efficient forward planning.
- Monitoring and evaluating the use of rural roads, planning the development and maintenance of rural roads, liaising and co-coordinating with other Authorities in planning and operations in respect of roads, preparing road work programs for all rural roads, advising the Cabinet Secretary on all issues relating to rural roads; and performing other functions related to rural roads as may be directed by the Cabinet Secretary.